Thursday, 19 September 2013

Magnetic blackboard D.I.Y ...

We've been doing lots of painting recently with little bear, and wanted somewhere to display our creations. I suppose the usual place is the fridge however, our kitchen is tiny, and so we only spend time in there cooking. So I thought it would be nice to have somewhere to display photos in our main living/dining area.

We've had the same painting hanging on the wall by the table for ages, and were thinking of changing it. However, rather than waste it, I thought about covering it with blackboard paint and turning it into a chalkboard/notice board. But then I discovered this fantastic magnetic blackboard primer and thought I'd give it a go. David was skeptical, and I must admit having done some research online I found a lot of people saying that these kinds of paints don't work that well. Here's the result after 4 coats...


As you can see the paint has given a pretty even coverage, and the blackboard effect has been achieved. One thing I would say about the paint it that it requires a LOT of stirring. Loads. When I opened the tin there was a thin watery layer sitting on top of the paint, and it took about 15 minutes of continous stirring to get the paint to a thick consistency, so that I was actually able to paint with it. One thing I have read about this paint is that it doesn't work properly unless mixed well, so perhaps this is why some people aren't getting the results they want. 


My first test with the magnets worked perfectly. I also added some string and tiny pegs for detail (also good for hanging paintings whilst dyring).


Overall I'm really pleased with how it turned out! I just need to buy some chalkboard pens to write on it and see how that goes...what do you think?



2 comments: